The Maryland Theatre Expansion
The Maryland Theatre Association, Inc. is currently constructing a 30,000 square foot expansion which will restore The Theatre to its original footprint prior to the fire which destroyed the front of the building in the early 1970's. The expansion will replace a current outdoor courtyard and will consist of 5 floors total in order to transform The Maryland Theatre, the crown jewel of Hagerstown's A&E District into a Performing Arts Complex. Once completed, the Maryland Symphony Orchestra's administrative offices and box office will relocate to new office space on the second floor of the theatre.
NOTE: The Maryland Theatre's historic auditorium will remain open for the duration of the project. All MSO concerts will be performed, as scheduled, in the Maryland Theatre. A ribbon cutting and grand opening of the new expansion is scheduled for October 2019.
As a patron, here's some helpful information to know while the theatre is under construction:
- The large expansion project is happening in front of the Theatre. The Maryland Theatre's auditorium is a historical landmark and is not part of this project.
- During construction, the main entrance of the Theatre will be available from both the front (at South Potomac Street) and the rear (from Rochester Alley) and will lead you directly into the historic auditorium. Look for new signage and a designated walkway on South Potomac Street!
- For "Visions of America," doors to the theatre and all seating will begin one and a half hours prior to performance.
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes early to the performance. Latecomers will not be seated until there is an appropriate break or intermission.
- Please bring your tickets with you to the theatre. If you need reprints, contact the MSO box office as soon as possible. With reduced space during construction, lines may be longer at the box office if you need assistance upon arrival.
- Concessions will be available in the orchestra level and balcony lobby.
- Need more info on parking? Click here
Click here to view the live stream of the Maryland Theatre expansion (Construction Cam)